At Testwood School we promote SMSC development of our students through a variety of ways including:
• SMSC areas are identified within schemes of work and in lessons for teachers and students to relate to the learning
• Testwood Staff deliver loom video presentations to develop students’ cultural understanding
• The provision of a broad, balanced and knowledge rich curriculum. Within this, teachers strive to promote opportunities whereby students are encouraged to engage with the wider world and consider and question their place within it.
• The delivery of a bespoke PSHE programme which enables students to discuss issues that arise in situations beyond academic and vocational study.
• A varied assembly and weekly tutorial programme through which teachers and visitors discuss topics that help students reflect upon themes that are important in the wider world today as well as addressing local, national and global current affairs.
• An extensive enrichment programme that includes sporting, academic, musical and cultural opportunities.
• Links with the Wider Community.
• The school has strong links with a wide range of businesses, employers and further / higher education providers.
• A strong home-school agreement enables parents and teachers to work in an effective partnership to support students.
• Students are taught to appreciate and to take responsibility for their local environment.
• The opportunity to experience a variety of educational visits outside of the classroom, including theatre trips, museum trips, guest speakers, further education contacts and residential trips to enrich the lives of our students
Spiritual: explore beliefs and experience; respect values; discover oneself and the surrounding world; use imagination and creativity; reflect.
Moral: recognise right and wrong; understand consequences; investigate moral and ethical issues; offer reasoned views.
Social: use social skills in different contexts; work well with others; resolve conflicts; understand how communities work.
Cultural: appreciate cultural influences; participate in culture opportunities; understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity.